SAN CARLOS STAKES QUOTES-SATURDAY, MARCH 30, 2019

first_imgJOCKEY QUOTESVICTOR ESPINOZA, ST. JOE BAY, WINNER: “It feels great to be back in the winner’s circle. It’s very encouraging to go forward in my career after what happened. This has put me on a different level, mentally as well after what happened. I thought I would never be back to ride. It was not easy not riding (during the past three week period).“I lightened up on my therapy for a week or two and then started to train hard again. I only rode two horses in coming back. This horse (St. Joe Bay) was the first horse I worked since my accident. He’s a different horse since then. He’s changed since that work.  The next time I worked him he was so positive. He built up with more weight and he was so happy. The combination changed him for the good. I never thought he would win that easy. This is fun and exciting.“I tried to jump in and open up as much as I could and he took it from there. He wanted to come out of there but really his body was not too capable so bobbled a bit, but by the second stride he picked up nicely and then I just let him cruise to the lead.”TYLER BAZE, DR. DOOR, SECOND: “I didn’t think he was going to be that lazy, but besides that he got rolling and he tried hard. I think he ran really well off the layoff. I’d like to thank Bob (Baffert) for the opportunity and would love to ride him back.TRAINER QUOTESJOHN SADLER, ST. JOE BAY, WINNER: “No, this doesn’t make up for the last one (scant nose defeat of Catapult in the Kilroe Mile). We’re really happy for Victor who’s on his comeback. He’s worked hard and it’s been tough with the calendar. He was ready to go a month ago and he had to stop, so it’s good for him to get back to the winner’s circle.“The horse got was second, got beat a head in this race last year. It’s a good distance for him, he got out, got rolling and the rest is history.”NOTES: The winning owners are Kosta and Peter Hronis.last_img read more

James Harden out for Rockets-Warriors with flu symptoms

first_imgGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title LATEST STORIES “He might’ve played even with a sore neck, he had a little touch of the flu. It was a combination of everything,” D’Antoni said.In the Rockets’ last visit to Oracle Arena, Harden hit a contested 3-pointer with 2.7 seconds left in a 135-134 overtime victory Jan. 3 in which he finished with a triple-double and his fifth straight 40-point game. He was 13 for 32 with 10 3s.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubs Harden, who missed three games in the season’s first month with a strained left hamstring, is averaging an NBA-best 36.5 points. Houston entered Saturday’s game 1-2 in games without him.Also Saturday, Harden was fined $25,000 by the NBA for criticizing the officiating after the loss to the Lakers. Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Nike shoe breaks apart, US hoops star injured Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Rogue cops marked as Gamboa’s targets in his appointment as PNP chief Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Houston Rockets’ James Harden, left, reaches for a loose ball next to Los Angeles Lakers’ Reggie Bullock during the second half of an NBA basketball game Thursday, Feb. 21, 2019, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)OAKLAND, Calif. — James Harden is sitting out the Houston Rockets’ game against the Golden State Warriors because of flu-like symptoms.While Harden also has a strained neck, coach Mike D’Antoni said the reigning MVP and league scoring leader probably could have played through that. Harden hurt the neck when he got hit during a practice leading up to Thursday night’s road loss to the Lakers and woke up sore the next day.ADVERTISEMENT Eugenie Bouchard’s bid for Australian Open spot ends in qualifying Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil MOST READ Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View commentslast_img read more

Charter evolution

first_imgTHE development of uniform standards for charter schools is the logical next step for this educational movement. The California Charter Schools Association announced Tuesday that it was creating a certification program for the independent campuses, and schools that meet these standards will get a seal of approval. This is a critical key to guiding the growth of charter schools throughout the state. Charters have grown in number in recent years because parents are unhappy with the decline in educational standards in traditional public schools. But that shift won’t last long if families find the same lack of academic standards in charter school classrooms. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Port OKs fees for clean trucks plan

first_imgThe charge is expected to be suspended by 2012, when about 16,800 drayage trucks operating at the twin port complex are expected to meet 2007 federal emissions standards, resulting in an 80 percent reduction in emissions. The fee is a follow-up to last month’s decision to ban older, dirtier trucks from the ports as part of a phased-in program set to begin Oct. 1, 2008, as part of the Clean Trucks Program and the wider Clean Air Action Plan. “This container fee is a fundamental step to ensuring we have the momentum and money to make the most aggressive plan to green the ports’ truck fleet a reality,” said Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa. “With the financial groundwork laid, it’s now time to push forward on the rest.” Environmentalists and health advocates praised the commission’s decision and pointed to studies that have linked diesel emissions to cancer, heart disease and asthma. While the fee will be used to help purchase cleaner-burning big rigs, truckers who work as independent contractors said that they cannot afford to maintain the new vehicles. After expenses, independent drivers typically earn about $8 to $12 an hour. They said the paltry earnings are too little to maintain the new trucks, which would require an overhaul every three to five years. “We’re always doing Mickey Mouse stuff to our trucks to fix them right now,” trucker Miguel Aragon said. “You can imagine if we have to fix these new trucks what the repairs will be like.” Next month, both ports are scheduled to consider who should own and maintain the new trucks, and whether to set standards for port control over trucking companies, marking the third, most disputed portion of the Clean Trucks Program. “Rescue us from the very difficult situation we find ourselves in as owner-operators,” Aragon told the harbor commission. “We ask you to be supportive of us because we are already employees, even though we are not classified as employees.” Truckers have gained an ally in Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn, who said she supports drivers like Aragon, who want to be recognized as full-time workers. “Clean trucks are great but won’t do us much good without a stable work force to drive them,” said Hahn, whose 15th District includes the Port of Los Angeles. The trucking and shipping industries have argued that shipment costs would soar if companies were required to hire independent drivers as full-time workers, who would likely join unions and demand benefits. “I think the next step is the most crucial and difficult part in implementing the program, and I think the port commissioners are coming to believe that too,” said Julie Sauls, vice president of external affairs for the California Trucking Association. art.marroquin@dailybreeze.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A “special” cargo fee aimed at generating $1.6 billion to pay for newer, cleaner short-haul diesel trucks by 2012 was approved Thursday by the Los Angeles Board of Harbor Commissioners. The $35 fee will be placed on all loaded 20-foot cargo containers entering the Port of Los Angeles, and a $70 fee will be slapped on 40-foot cargo containers beginning June 1, 2008, to help pay for the Clean Trucks Program. The charge would not apply to containers entering or leaving the port by train, car carriers or fuel tanks. Port officials admitted that the fee may eventually drive up the cost of goods shipped on cargo containers but said that they cannot expand operations without finding a way to reduce diesel emissions spewed from trucks, ships and railroads operating at the twin port complex. “Ultimately the fee will be paid by the consumers but we are talking about a few cents on an item that sells for hundreds of dollars,” said S. David Freeman, president of the harbor commission. “What we’re getting from that is the elimination of pollution, which is causing damages of $4 million and $5 million. This is about the best investment I can think of that we can possibly make.” The Port of Long Beach approved the same fee plan Monday. Long Beach harbor commission President Mario Cordero, who sat beside Freeman during most of the meeting Thursday, said he is looking forward to working with his counterparts in Los Angeles in finally implementing the long-delayed Clean Trucks Program. “Obviously we’re working towards a very monumental plan, a cutting-edge plan,” Cordero said. “The steps that we’re taking together as ports are steps that are going to make a dramatic change with regard to the reduction of emissions from trucks.” The new container fees will be collected by the ports’ shipping terminals, but concerns were raised about how the new charge should be collected. Freeman asked port staffers to draw up a plan that either reimburses or completely exempts drivers of cleaner-burning trucks from paying the fee. A formal payment plan is expected to come before the board next month. “I don’t want to adopt this thing with just a bunch of vague understandings,” Freeman said. “If a truck is compliant, it should not pay the fee.” last_img read more