Pardew remains resolute

first_imgAlan Pardew is even more determined to turn things around at Newcastle after finding his family and friends caught in the crossfire amid a furious debate over his future. The manager admitted in the immediate aftermath of the game that he expected to hold discussions with the billionaire – who, it was revealed on Thursday, has increased his stake in Rangers to almost nine per cent – this week, although club sources later insisted there would be no “crisis” talks. Pardew said: “I spoke to Mike and the chief executive [Lee Charnley], and the message is very much, ‘How can we support you?’. “I would not expect any different, even if they were thinking differently privately. They have been very solid and I appreciate that. “It’s getting lost in the wash a little bit, that I’m here out of arrogance or Mike’s being stubborn about it to annoy people. “We’re not. We’re just trying to get what is right for the team and it’s obvious that the team isn’t functioning very well at the moment. “But there is no lack of fight and that is something which is important. There have been some harsh words on the training ground and that is where they’ll stay. We need a bit more.” Asked if this is the most difficult period he has had in his managerial career, Pardew replied: “Yeah, it probably is. But I have had difficult periods before.” The Magpies boss at least received a boost on Thursday afternoon when midfielder Cheick Tiote re-affirmed his commitment to the club after quotes emerged in his native Ivory Coast suggesting he would seek a move in January. Tiote, the subject of a rejected summer bid from Lokomotiv Moscow, told Newcastle’s official website, www.nufc.co.uk: “I saw the quotes that appeared yesterday, but they are not accurate. “Yes, there was some interest in me over the summer and that can be a bit distracting, but nothing came of it. “I’m back to full fitness and only thinking about doing my best for the team. We are not in a good position in the league right now and I want to get us up to where we should be. “I am as committed as I have ever been to Newcastle.” He said: ‘It’s not something that I’m used to, in the past two or three weeks. I’m going about my business as I normally do. “My family and friends worry me a little bit, because it’s started going past football media a little bit at times. That’s not nice. “But that makes me more determined and that’s just the make-up that I have. I don’t shy away from it. I’ve been out and about all week. I’ve been out in town and I will continue to do that.” Pardew, who revealed he has had fans express their hope that he will fight his way through as well as some who have been less supportive, heads for Swansea on Saturday knowing another defeat would further fuel the fires of his increasingly vocal critics. However, he is refusing to walk away from a job he insists he treasures. He said: “You have to understand that this is my business. I love this football club. “The players are feeling a little bit of the stress and the heat that is upon them. They are a young group and I need to help them. I will do that until such point where it comes that I can’t help them anymore.” Owner Mike Ashley, whose tongue-in-cheek threat to sack Pardew if he lost at the Britannia Stadium prompted fresh headlines last week, was there in person to witness the latest setback to a team which was substantially, although perhaps not as extensively as it might have been, remodelled during the summer. The 53-year-old remains in charge at St James’ Park despite a 1-0 defeat at Stoke on Monday evening which left the club second from bottom in the Barclays Premier League without a win this season and having collected three points on only five occasions in 2014. Pardew has had to endure vitriolic calls for his head from sections of his own club’s support in recent weeks and while he admits that has been tough, he is unhappy that others have been affected too. Press Associationlast_img read more

Suso is already from Sevilla

first_imgSuso is already a Sevilla soccer player. Yesterday the Nervans found the final agreement with Milan for an 18-month transfer with purchase option, which would be mandatory if the club qualifies for the Champions League and it would cost about 20 million euros. The Cadiz, who will wear the number 14, arrived today in Seville to pass the medical examination and start his new adventure: this morning he left Milan with a private plane from Linate airport. “Say hello to the Tifosi? I’ll talk later,” he told reporters, without giving further statements. Suso leaves the rossonera entity, which he came to in 2015 from Liverpool, after 152 games and 24 goals: With 26 years he wanted a new adventure to be a protagonist and nothing better than Sevilla, where he will meet Lopetegui, the coach who made him debut with the National Team in November 2017.last_img read more