Blake impresses in world leading 100m win

first_imgOn a day when American Justin Gatlin dropped a wind-aided 9.90 seconds run in The Bahamas, 2011 World 100m champion Yohan Blake signalled his return after injury issues, with a world leading 9.95 (+1.4) win in the 100m at the MVP Track and field meet at the National Stadium on Saturday night. Blake, who has been bothered with hamstring injuries, which caused him to miss the 2013 World Championships and much of the subsequent seasons, confirmed whispers out of his training camp, which pointed to an athlete in good shape, after bursting out of the blocks and out-sprinting a solid field. 200m specialist Rasheed Dwyer and Zharnel Hughes both clocked 10.10 seconds for second and third respectively. Earlier, Gatlin, while competing at the Chris Brown Bahamas Invitational at the Thomas A Robinson Stadium in Nassau, stopped the clock in 9.90 seconds but had an illegal +2.3 wind pushing him along. Qatar’s Femi Ogundoe, was second in 9.94 with Trinidad and Tobago’s Adrian Griffith taking third in 10.03. Also in The Bahamas, veteran Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown had to settle for third place in the women’s 100m, 11.17 in a  tight finish behind Trinidadian Michelle-Lee Ahye, 11.14 and Murielle Ahoure (Ivory Coast), 11.17. Another Jamaican Aleen Bailey fell during the early stages of the race and was reportedly taken to hospital after hitting her head on the track. Quarter-miler LaShawn Merritt was a highlight at the meet, stopping the clock in a brilliant 19.78 (+0.9) to win the 200m event. Wallace Spearmon, 20.40 was next best with Mike Rodgers 20.42 finishing third, while Jamaica’s Jason Livermore was fifth in 21.01.last_img read more

JAIL FOR BALLYSHANNON MAN WHO PREYED ON YOUNG BROTHERS

first_imgA BALLYSHANNON man found guilty on 32 counts of child sex abuse has been jailed.Brian McMahon, who had been living recently in Sligo, abused his victim between 1966 and 1974.McMahon, now 63, was 16 when he first attacked his victim who was just ten at the time. He was found guilty on 31 counts against the boy. McMahon was also found guilty by a jury of one charge of indecently assaulting the boy’s younger brother, between September 1973 and September 1974, also in Ballyshannon. The victim was aged 13 at the time.The victims asked for McMahon to be named in court.Garda Gerard Mullane told the court that some of the abuse took place in a cow shed or in fields. McMahon, he said, was a recluse.One victim said at the time he “didn’t have the vocabulary” to describe what was inflicted on him. In an effort to cope throughout his life, he immersed himself in his work and worked hours “far in excess” of the working week.“I have no self-confidence,” he said, adding that he has difficulty trusting and confiding in others.He has endured nightmares since the trial. “I have lost my childhood forever,” he said.His younger brother, in his victim impact statement, said he has endured an “emotional, painful path” due to the “violence, intimidation, terror and completely irrational behaviour” of McMahon.McMahon was jailed for two years on each of the 32 offences, all the sentences to run concurrently.He will be back on the streets next year.JAIL FOR BALLYSHANNON MAN WHO PREYED ON YOUNG BROTHERS was last modified: July 31st, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more