Mexico detains drug capo, alleged ally of fugitive Guzmán

first_img MEXICO CITY – Mexican officials said on March 12 that a suspected drug gang leader captured in western Mexico was allied to the country’s most wanted fugitive and behind the killings of dozens of his rivals. Erick Valencia Salazar, alias “El 85,” captured in a major military raid on March 9 in the western city of Guadalajara, led the Jalisco New Generation drug cartel, General Ricardo Trevilla, spokesman for the National Defense Secretariat (SEDENA), said at a news conference. Valencia Salazar set up the gang with brothers Óscar Orlando and Juan Carlos Nava Valencia, who have been detained, and worked for the Sinaloa drug gang of billionaire fugitive Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, Trevilla said. Valencia Salazar also allegedly created the Matazetas, or Zeta Killers, hit men blamed for killing dozens of Guzmán’s rivals from the Zetas drug gang in the eastern state of Veracruz. [AFP, 12/03/2012; Laopinion.com (Mexico), 12/03/2012] By Dialogo March 13, 2012last_img read more

Brookhaven Town Hall Bomb Scare Sparks Evacuation

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Brookhaven Town Hall was evacuated for a bomb scare that was mailed in to a local TV news station on Tuesday morning, authorities said.A Suffolk County police spokeswoman said officers responded to search town hall in Farmingville after receiving the tip from Nassau County police.A Nassau County police spokeswoman said Emergency Services Unit officers responded to a report of a suspicious envelope at News 12 Long Island in Woodbury, opened it and read the threat.“It was for a different date, not today’s date,” the Nassau police spokeswoman said.Brookhaven town spokesman Jack Krieger said the building was evacuated at about 1:30 p.m. and workers were allowed back inside an hour later.The incident comes after Suffolk County police found “Bomb Town Hall” written in graffiti on Jan. 13 at Martha Avenue Recreational Park in Brookhaven hamlet, about seven miles from town hall.It also comes about a week after Brookhaven drew harsh criticism for its extremely slow response in plowing many local streets following a blizzard that dumped a record nearly three feet of snow while Brookhaven Town Supervisor Ed Romaine was on vacation.Romaine has since apologized. Acting Superintendent of Highways Michael Murphy who was also away during the storm resigned last week. John Capella replaced him until a March 5 special election to pick a new highway chief.Town Councilwoman Kathy Walsh, an independent, is running on the Democratic Party line for the highway post against New York State Assemb. Daniel Losquadro (R-Shoreham).Such threats are nothing new on LI, although they’re usually outnumbered by shooting and bomb threats at local schools, which have been increasingly sensitive to similar scares after the Newtown school massacre in December.Ronald Kellman of Central Islip pleaded guilty in October to phoning in four bomb threats to Islip Town Hall over nine months. He was sentenced to six months in jail and five years probation, court records show.last_img read more

Govt develops web-based app to assess businesses’ risks related to human rights

first_imgThe app emerged as the government’s response to the fact that out of thousands of overall human rights abuses, 15 percent were related to companies, according to Bambang’s estimate. The issues included land affairs, deforestation, forced eviction and labor rights.The app development is taking place at a time when labor unions and advocacy groups are worried about the omnibus bill on job creation’s impact on labor rights. The bill will revise 79 prevailing laws and around 1,200 articles.After having finished deliberating the bill, the House of Representatives passed it into law on Monday.Businesses were second only to the National Police in terms of being reported for human rights abuses with 41 reports in August, according to data from the National Human Rights Commission. PRISMA supervisor Patricia Rinigawati said the app was aimed at assessing not only big businesses, but also small businesses.Patricia, who is also an academic at the University of Indonesia, added that the app was meant to educate businesses about, among other things, the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGP) and serve as a platform for due diligence.“This is so we can identify the risks and we can minimize it or take measures to keep it from happening if it is preventable. If not, [companies] have to offer recovery to victims,” said Patricia.She went on to say that running the app might require a more pragmatic approach so that it would not deter businesses from taking part in the assessment.Danang Girindrawardana, the executive director of the Indonesian Employers Association (APINDO), said the app had a good method. However, he was afraid that it would overlap with prevailing regulations that had already asked companies to submit reports on similar indicators.Asking companies to assess whether their suppliers’ practices comply with human rights regulations might be “an extraordinary boomerang” for small and medium enterprises (SME), some of which provided raw materials to larger businesses.“We have to do this gradually. We cannot justify the risk checker’s responsibility to be imposed on big companies at this stage while they are obliged to help SMEs grow,” said Danang.Topics : The Law and Human Rights Ministry is developing a web-based application called PRISMA to assess companies’ operational risks related to human rights abuses, from land affairs to deforestation and forced eviction to labor rights.PRISMA will be a voluntary self-assessment that covers 11 indicators, namely a company’s profile, human rights policy, grievance mechanism, supply chains, manpower, labor condition, labor union, discrimination, privacy, environment and social responsibility.“PRISMA is an independent app aimed at helping companies analyze the risk of human rights abuses from their business operations,” Bambang Iriana Djaatmadja, the ministry’s director of human rights cooperation, said in a virtual discussion on Monday. The app is issued in partnership with the Institute for Policy Research and Advocacy (ELSAM) and business groups.last_img read more

IMCA Modifieds chase $1,250 checks at Batesville’s Arkansas Spring Nationals

first_imgBATESVILLE, Ark. – A pair of $1,250 to win features for IMCA Modifieds are on the card for the Friday and Saturday, March 17 and 18 Arkansas Spring Nationals at Batesville Motor Speedway.Both Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot-qualifying events pay $1,000 to the runner-up. Mini­mum start money is $150 and IMCA Speedway Motors Weekly Racing National, Jet Racing Cen­tral Region, Allstar Performance State and track points will be awarded.Pre-entry fee is $50 each night or $75 at the gate. The grandstand opens at 5:30 p.m., hot laps are at 7 p.m. and racing starts at 7:30 p.m. each night.Spectator admission is $10 for adults and free for kids ages 14 and under. Pit passes are $30.Overnight accommodations are available by calling the Ramada Inn at 870 698-1800, the Holiday Inn Express at 870 698-2700 or Comfort Suites at 870 698-1900.Additional information about Arkansas Spring Nationals is available by calling 870 251-0011, at the www.batesvillemotorspeedway.com website or by emailing csstarr2@yahoo.com.last_img read more

Kenneth Wolf March 28, 1940 – January 23, 2019

first_imgKenneth Wolf, age 78 of West Harrison, Indiana passed away Wednesday, January 23, 2019 at his home. Born March 28, 1940 in Manchester, Kentucky the son of Viola (Hicks) Anderson and step son of Sam Anderson..Kenneth married Dollie Byrd August 22, 1964 in New Trenton, Indiana. Worked as a machine repair technician for Ford Motor Company for 34 years. Served his country in the US Army.Survived by his loving wife Dollie Wolf of West Harrison, Indiana. Father of Tammy Wolf of Harrison, Ohio. Papaw of Brandi (Dustin) Rodgers, Ryan Decker and Eric Werner. Great grandfather of Adyson, Chayden, Braxton and Kloey. Brother of Judy (Dusty) Livengood of West Harrison, Indiana.Preceded in death by his mother Viola Anderson, step fathers Sam Anderson and Walter “Chick” Johnson, brother Larry Anderson.Visitation will be held Saturday, January 26, 2019 from 9:30 A.M. until time of funeral services at 12:00 P.M. with Rev. Hobert Bowling officiating all at Jackman Hensley Funeral Home 215 Broadway Street Harrison, Ohio 45030. Military honors will follow conducted by the Harrison Funeral Detail.Memorials may be directed to Bright Fire and EMS c/o the funeral home.last_img read more

Hughes has high hopes for Bojan

first_imgStoke boss Mark Hughes hopes Bojan Krkic can follow the lead of fellow Spaniard and ex-Barcelona man Cesc Fabregas by developing into an established Barclays Premier League star. But having been initially outraged, Hughes was then impressed that Fabregas apologised to him for the run-in. Recalling the incident, Hughes said: “I don’t think I had any strikers, so I just parked the bus basically. “He (Fabregas) wasn’t happy, but he actually hung around until after I had done all my press to apologise, which showed class.” Bojan sustained a hip injury in last Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Crystal Palace but has trained this week and Hughes expects him to be available to face Chelsea. Defender Marc Muniesa has recovered from the hamstring complaint which prevented him from being involved in the Palace match, while Hughes is optimistic a knee problem picked up by Stephen Ireland will not rule the midfielder out of Monday’s contest. Thibaut Courtois should be fit to return for Chelsea. The Belgium goalkeeper has missed the Blues’ last two matches with a muscular injury and manager Jose Mourinho expects him to return at the Britannia Stadium. Didier Drogba should overcome an ankle injury sustained in the Capital One Cup win against Derby, while defender Kurt Zouma is available for selection after suffering a head injury on Tuesday. Boss Jose Mourinho underlined the need for referee Neil Swarbrick to control the game. “I like [the test of going to Stoke],” he said. “I like, but it’s no problem with a good referee that can understand what is aggressivity, or when the aggression finishes and start the rules of the game. No problem at all. “We need a good referee, yes. I think we need a good, experienced referee who can understand exactly that. “What happened in both boxes in this kind of matches needs important decisions. “What is aggressivity and what goes beyond, go beyond the rules of the game. That is important, but I like it, yes.” The referee’s performance was a theme Mourinho kept revisiting, from being asked about Courtois dealing with crosses to and whether Hughes’ side is as aggressive as that of the Tony Pulis era. “We have our own identity,” the Chelsea boss said. “We want to play football. “We play beautiful football and that’s what we want to do, but we can compete with physicality. “That’s no problem for us. The referee is there and I’m not worried because the referee is there.” Press Association Hughes – once a player for the Catalan club himself – can see similarities between the two. And ahead of Stoke’s Barclays Premier League home clash with leaders Chelsea on Monday, the Welshman said: “Fabregas has been a top player for a long time, but in the future, who knows how good Bojan can be? “Nobody knows that at the moment, but we are all encouraged by his ability. “Fabregas is a player I have a great deal of respect for. We had a little set-to one year, but I was really impressed by his behaviour after and I have a lot of time for him as a person and as a player. “So I feel there are also similarities between their personalities. “They are both outstanding players and humble young men as well.” The “set-to” Hughes referred to came in 2007 after an FA Cup tie between the Blackburn side he was managing at the time and Fabregas’ Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium, a turgid 0-0 draw. Fabregas was said to have made a comment to Hughes at the final whistle questioning how a former Barcelona player could employ such negative tactics in a game. Forward Bojan has made an impressive start to life in English football following his summer switch to the Potters from Barca, emerging as the most exciting element of the Staffordshire outfit’s attack. And the season so far has also seen some hugely accomplished performances from Fabregas, the former Arsenal midfielder who secured a return to the Premier League in June by leaving Barcelona for Chelsea. last_img read more

Walters treble sees off Rangers

first_img But further poor defending from QPR in stoppage time then allowed Walters to complete his treble with a header, leaving t he Londoners’ record on the road in the league this term showing 11 losses from 11 games. While they remain a point adrift of safety in 19th, Mark Hughes – Redknapp’s predecessor, who QPR sacked in late 2012 – has seen his team rise to ninth in the table following a fourth win in six league matches. QPR fans will be watching with interest to see if Redknapp makes any late moves in the transfer window before Monday’s deadline, with the manager having said he has been eyeing a couple of players on loan. Hughes, meanwhile, has appeared to play down the prospect of him trying to bring in new personnel, despite the loss this week of the influential Bojan Krkic to a season-ending knee injury. Stoke certainly did not appear to be suffering for Bojan’s absence in the opening half an hour or so here as Ireland – the man who had come into the team for the Spaniard, making his first start since early December – twice set up goals for the Potters’ top-scorer Walters. On both occasions, QPR inadvertently lent a helping hand. Firstly, some ponderous play saw ex-Stoke man Karl Henry let a Mauricio Isla pass run across him, and Ireland reacted sharply, nipping in with a tidy back-heel to tee up Walters, whose shot beat Robert Green. Victor Moses almost made it 2-0 soon after with a free-kick that curled just outside the top corner, and the ball subsequently broke to Ireland on the edge of box, the midfielder firing wide. There was then a sense of deja vu as Ireland and Walters again capitalised on the Rs losing possession. This time it was Eduardo Vargas giving it away in the Stoke half – once more Ireland intervened, launching a counter-attack that saw him eventually square to Walters, and the forward slotted past Green. QPR remain without an away point this season and second-bottom of the Barclays Premier League after Jonathan Walters’ hat-trick condemned them to a 3-1 defeat at Stoke. Press Association Another away defeat looked firmly on the cards for the visitors, but within two minutes they had pulled a goal back as the Potters had a defensive lapse of their own. Fer was able to prod the ball to Barton, his cut-back found Charlie Austin and the striker’s shot ricocheted off Phil Bardsley into the path of Kranjcar, who had an easy task to tap-in as Stoke appealed in vain for offside. There was a further setback for the home side moments later as their captain Ryan Shawcross was forced off injured, Marc Muniesa taking his place, but they finished the first half strongly as Moses played a one-two with Walters before lashing over. There were fierce attempts at either end as the second half got under way, Bardsley sending a free-kick swerving just too high and Vargas then having an acrobatic effort palmed away by Begovic. Moses, who has been caught up in diving controversy already this season, was then booked for simulation, before QPR went close to drawing level with two set-piece efforts. Barton sent his free-kick against the woodwork, possibly via a slight touch from Begovic, and the goalkeeper then smartly tipped Fer’s dead-ball delivery behind for a corner. It was proving a tense finale for Stoke until QPR again faltered at the back, with Barton’s attempted clearance with his head from a cross only finding Walters, who nodded in to take his tally for the season to 10 goals in all competitions. Sloppy play from Rangers was punished twice in the first half as Stephen Ireland teed up strikes for Walters in the 21st and 34th minutes. Harry Redknapp’s side quickly replied through Niko Kranjcar’s close-range finish, and, as they searched for an equaliser after the break, skipper Joey Barton struck the crossbar with one free-kick before Leroy Fer had another well saved by Asmir Begovic. last_img read more

Belfast climb into top three

first_img Having lost their last three matches, two of which were to title rivals Nottingham Panthers, they got off to an ideal start with a goal from Mike Kompon in the first minute. Having taken a 2-0 lead, they never relinquished their hold on the game and two goals from Craig Peacock in the second period helped secure a 6-3 victory to move them up to third in the table. Belfast Giants moved to within three points of Elite League leaders Braehead Clan after returning to winning ways at home to Cardiff Devils. Press Associationlast_img read more

Officer Shoots, Kills Suspect Outside Florida Walmart

first_imgA police officer shot and killed a man outside a Walmart in north Florida on Saturday, authorities say.According to T.K. Waters, Chief of Investigations with the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, store employees told them the man had been creating a disturbance and then went outside.As an officer approached, the suspect crouched down, as if he was trying to hide an item..@jsopio on scene of officer involved shooting in the 13200 City Station Drive. Suspect is deceased – no injuries to officer. More information to follow via live briefing. pic.twitter.com/62KkblDJm3— Jax Sheriff’s Office (@JSOPIO) October 5, 2019 Waters says the man turned toward the officer at that point, spraying him in the face and body with an unknown substance.The officer then fired three shots at the suspect, killing him.Store employees also told the Sheriff’s Office they had seen the suspect in the store, while armed, on previous occasions.last_img read more

Florida Releases Details of COVID-19 Deaths at Elder Care Centers

first_imgFlorida’s health administrators over the weekend released detailed information about new coronavirus deaths at elder care facilities around the state, after more than a month of refusing to address the issue.Gov. Ron DeSantis’ administration released the information after several news organizations filed suit under the state’s public records law to force the release of the data.The document reveals that one in three coronavirus deaths in Florida have occurred at 152 of the state’s long-term care facilities.As of Friday, the state counted 1,314 deaths. Of those, 423 were in senior-care facilities, which includes both staff and resident deaths.Additionally, nearly half of the deaths in elder care facilities were right here in South Florida.However, the nursing homes that have suffered the greatest losses in the state are Braden River Rehabilitation Center in Bradenton, Suwannee Health and Rehabilitation Center in Live Oak, and Seminole Pavilion Rehabilitation and Nursing Services in Seminole.All three of those centers have reported 13 resident deaths and one staff member death, according to Friday’s release.The facility with the highest number of reported deaths in South Florida is Miami Jewish Health Systems, a 438-bed elder care facility. According to the state, eight residents have died there.last_img read more