Sakhir, Bahrain | AFP | Lewis Hamilton will take a five-place grid penalty in Sunday’s Bahrain Grand Prix following a gearbox change on his Mercedes late Friday in another early season setback for the world champion.The British star had wound up fourth fastest earlier in Friday’s second free practice session at the Bahrain International Circuit.“@LewisHamilton will take a five-place grid penalty for the #BahrainGP after having to change his gearbox,” tweeted Mercedes.Kimi Raikkonen was fastest as he and Ferrari team-mate Sebastian Vettel dominated the session ahead of the two Mercedes, headed by Valtteri Bottas.Hamilton’s setback in his bid to overhaul Vettel’s early-season lead in the title race –- following his victory in the season-opening Australian Grand Prix –- was confirmed by the International Motoring Federation (FIA), the sport’s ruling body.Bottas also had a new gearbox fitted on Friday evening, but escaped a grid penalty because he had already been penalised in Australia.Four-time world champion Hamilton, who created a minor controversy when he showed his approval on social media earlier in the day of the retention of grid girls at the Monaco Grand Prix, said before his penalty had been announced that it had been “a normal Friday”.“It’s very close and we have some work to do. The tyres feel the best they have here in years, very stable with less degradation.”Mercedes technical director James Allison said after Friday practice that the team were not as competitive in relation to Ferrari as they had been in Melbourne. “The base for us is ok, but we don’t have the edge we had in Melbourne.”Raikkonen had escaped a grid penalty of his own as he clocked a best lap time of one minute and 29.817 seconds to outpace four-time champion Vettel by 0.011 seconds.Raikkonen, however, faced a post-race investigation into a possible unsafe release of his car, by Ferrari, following a routine pit-stop late in the session.He pulled away, but then saw his pit crew waving their arms and pulled up at the side of the track.It was feared he would be punished for an unsafe release -– because his front right wheel was not attached properly –- and given a grid penalty, but instead Ferrari were fined 5,000 euros.The race stewards said they felt Ferrari had done all they could to minimise the risk of the wheel coming off the car.Bottas was happy to bounce back after his confidence-sapping crash in qualifying in Australia two weeks ago.He said: “There is always pressure and I am treating this like a normal weekend. Here the track improves all the time, with more grip every lap.“The car felt ok, but we need to find some more pace especially on a single lap.”Dutchman Max Verstappen, who missed the first session due to a power failure, was fifth for Red Bull ahead of team-mate Daniel Ricciardo.Verstappen said: “We had a small issue this morning — these things happen so it doesn’t concern me too much.“I lost a lot of track time, but come race day it will depend a lot on strategy.”Nico Hulkenberg was seventh for Renault ahead of the Toro Rosso of Pierre Gasly and the two McLarens of two-time champion Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne.Share on: WhatsApp “It wasn’t our best day,” he said. “We’ve got more to do overnight and in the practice tomorrow (Saturday) to five us a car that can fight in qualifying and on Sunday.
As the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases continue to rise, so do the number of deaths caused by the virus.On Friday the death toll from coronavirus in Florida rose from from 29 to 46 in one day.Two of those deaths include people from Palm Beach County. PBC now has 5 total deaths, according to the state Health Department. All victims were older than 60 years old.St. Lucie County reported its first death Friday, a 59-year-old man, who also was the first in the Treasure Coast, and Miami Dade County, had its first two deaths Friday, a 40-year-old man with no previous health issues, and a 79-year-old man.Miami-Dade county still leads the state with the most confirmed cases at 869 total cases.
Police in Maryland are reporting that they have found the body of Robert F. Kennedy’s granddaughter several days after she and her 8-year-old son went missing in a canoe accident.Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean’s body was found on Monday in 25 feet of water, a little more than 2 miles south of her mother’s residence, according to Maryland Natural Resources Police.According to the report, Maeve and her son where in the backyard of a waterfront home with other family members on April 2nd when the children accidently kicked a ball into the water. That’s when Maeve and her son decided to get into the canoe to grab the ball. Due to weather conditions, however, the mother and her son struggled to get the canoe back to shore. They eventually disappeared in the choppy water of the Chesapeake Bay.The canoe was later found Friday night overturned in the water, however, Maeve and her son remained missing.While, Maeve’s body has since been found, authorities are still searching for her 8-year-old son.
A group of Liberians hailing from Lofa County residing in Grand Gedeh on New Year’s Day inaugurated the Lofa Association of Grand Gedeh.The group, headed by Mrs. Musu Tamba, said the Association was organized in July 2013 with the aim of building a community of united Lofa natives in Grand Gedeh.Mrs. Tamba said the group comprises more than two hundred members who are engaged in businesses across Grand Gedeh County.Members of the association include dealers in building materials, used clothing and household utensils among other commodities and those engaged in gold mining, according to Mrs. Tamba.She added that the Association seeks to empower its members by providing loans and other assistance to their fellow compatriots.She disclosed that the group also aims to impact the county’s economy by what she described as “the opening of fabulous businesses.”Mrs. Tamba, who is one of the leading building materials dealers in Zwedru, said members also rally to provide support to those who get married, graduate, celebrate birthdays and other achievements in their lives. The Lofa association also provides help to the sick and impoverished members, she added.She disclosed plans to engage in large scale farming in Grand Gedeh in the coming years.“Prior to the civil war, Lofa County was referred to as the breadbasket of Liberia. Now we have over two hundred of us living in Grand Gedeh and I know we can put Grand Gedeh on the map as the leading producer of bitter balls and pepper in the near future,” Mrs. Tamba said.She said they have a very cordial relationship with the people of Grand Gedeh and the county’s authorities. The launch of the Lofa Association of Grand Gedeh was attended by people from all walks of life, including Grand Gedeh Acting County Inspector Josephus Garley, a representative from the Zwedru City Mayor’s office, the Grebo, Nimba and business communities.Some of the members of the association have been working and doing business in Grand Gedeh for over 25 years.The Lofa association is an addition to a network of other tribal groups residing in the county. There are the Fulani communities, Nimba citizens, Grebo community and Kru associations in Grand Gedeh.The festivity, which included a parade through the principal streets of Zwedru and an indoor program, was graced by musician Patrick Tamba Kailando, a Lofa native who also performs his music in Guinea and Sierra Leone. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Huskies resume their second-round NWJHL playoff matchup with the Grande Prairie JDA Kings Tuesday evening.The Huskies hung on to defeat the Kings in Game 1 of the series on Saturday evening, as the team nearly blew a 5-0 lead.“We need to play with energy for a full 60 minutes,” said General Manager Jeremy Clothier. “Going into an opponents rink in the playoffs is a completely different than the regular season. However, if we approach it like we did in the season and play a full game, we will be fine.”- Advertisement -Pups forward Sebastian Powsey will miss the remainder of the season after breaking his fibula in Game 1.Tuesday’s Game 2 tilt in Grande Prairie gets underway at 8:30 p.m.
TEMPE, Ariz. – Physical examinations will be performed today for Angels position players, who also need to make sure their gloves are in proper condition. The Angels were the worst fielding team in the American League last season, committing 124 errors for a .979 fielding percentage. The miscues led to 80 unearned runs after the Angels led the league in that category in 2005 with just 45 unearned runs. Fielding will no doubt be a priority in this camp as the first full-squad workout is set for Tuesday. The most notable change will be the larger glove used by Chone Figgins as he tries to overcome fielding issues at third base. Figgins had 16 errors last season, 10 of which came in 34 games (280
Students aged 8 – 11 can take part in a game at the east arena from 10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m., students aged 12 – 15 can then follow suit in the east arena from 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., while students 16 and over are asked to come into the west arena from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.”In addition to this, public skating hours on the Oval have been extended by two hours,” the centre writes in a press release. “This session will run from 12:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. This skate is open to all members of the public and helmets are encouraged.”The centre adds, “There will be co-ed drop in hockey for children and youth ages 8+. Please note that there is no required skill level to participate in drop-in hockey, but full gear must be worn.”- Advertisement -There are fees associated with these activities, with the youth rate (6 – 18) at $2.50 for skating and drop-in sessions.For more information, contact the city’s Recreation Programmer at 250 794 3262.
Here’s the top transfer-related stories in Tuesday’s newspapers…Manchester United are plotting a shock £20m bid for former star Gerard Pique. Louis Van Gaal is still desperate to sign defensive re-enforcements and has put Barcelona’s Pique at the top of his wanted list. (Daily Star)Liverpool have joined the chase for Porto teenage midfielder Ruben Neves. Portugal Under-21 starlet Neves, 17, has been watched three times by the Reds this season. (Daily Mirror)Arsenal are in talks to sign Croatia star Marcelo Brozovic from Dinamo Zagreb. (Daily Star)Chelsea scouts have again watched Marseille midfielder Giannelli Imbula. The Belgium-born star, 22, was bought for £6million from French rivals Guingamp last year and is now rated at £25m by the Ligue 1 top dogs. (Daily Mirror)Rio Ferdinand could be offloaded by Queens Park Rangers in January. (Daily Mirror)And here’s the latest talkSPORT.com headlines…Exclusive – Balotelli is no Suarez but he WILL come good for Liverpool, insists RodgersExclusive – We’re still talking! Rodgers insists Sterling saga has not damaged Hodgson relationshipExclusive – Stoke star defends Moses after Monk ‘cheat’ claimExclusive – Liverpool boss Rodgers backs Redknapp, branding QPR sack talk ‘incredible’Exclusive – Begovic flattered by Real Madrid talk but insists: I’m happy at StokeNani to extend Sporting Lisbon loan deal? Man United winger ‘happy’ in homelandMan City and Man United on alert as Alves prepares for Barcelona exitMourinho casts doubts over Chelsea’s January transfer window activity‘When hell freezes over!’ – Arsenal forward laughs off Tottenham switch rumours
Solari has led Real to four wins out of four since being installed on a caretaker basis following Lopetegui’s abrupt sacking last month.And with 15 goals scored and only two conceded he has established the best ever start for a Real manager.After thrashing Melilla in the Copa del Rey, they won 5-0 away to Viktoria Plzen in the Champions League, between victories over Real Valladolid and Celta Vigo in La Liga.The upturn has left Madrid only four points adrift of league leaders Barcelona and on the brink of qualification for the last 16 in Europe.Solari, who spent five years playing for Real, was promoted from his role in charge of Castilla, the club´s B team, after Lopetegui had overseen a miserable run that included just one victory in seven games.The last of those, a 5-1 thumping at the hands of Barcelona, proved the final straw for club president Florentino Perez but the team have rebounded under their new coach.Solari is Perez’s 13th manager in 15 seasons across two seperate periods at the Santiago Bernabeu.“He has done excellently,” Madrid club director Emilio Butragueno said on Sunday night. “We are very happy with how things have gone.”Few could argue with the results, which have now earned Solari the chance to prove himself over a longer period.– ‘Great opportunity’ –Santiago Solari rejects comparisons with former Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane © AFP/File / TORU YAMANAKAHe indicated in his opening press conference that he was open to keeping the job full-time.“It’s a great opportunity and it’s a great club,” Solari said. “I don’t just say that now as coach of the first team. I’ve been here with other teams, I’ve played and sweated in the shirt of this club.“Madrid is bigger than all of us but it touches us all with its greatness. I want to be a part of it.”Zinedine Zidane also stepped up mid-season from coaching Castilla in 2016 and led the team to Champions League glory five months later.Solari has played down the comparisons with Zidane, who commanded instant respect owing to his glittering playing career and long-established status at the club, enhancing his status as a Real legend by winning three consecutive Champions League crowns.“He’s one of the greatest things we’ve ever had at this club,” Solari said last month. “He’s very calm, a great coach and nobody can compare to him.”The challenge for Solari will be to manage the dressing room when results take a turn for the worse.After the international break, Madrid´s generous run of games continues with league matches against Eibar, Valencia, Huesca, Rayo Vallecano and Villarreal before Christmas, none of whom currently reside in La Liga´s top half.They will also play Roma in Italy and CSKA Moscow at home in the Champions League, two games likely to settle who goes through top of Group G.Solari was only allowed two weeks as an interim coach according to Spanish regulations, meaning Sunday´s trip to Celta Vigo was always likely to precede a decision on his future.It proved an impressive final audition as Madrid struck a 4-2 victory, with Solari having to adapt to a handful of injury problems during the game.“We´ll go to the death with him, he’s a great coach and of course we want him to continue,” Madrid defender Alvaro Odriozola said afterwards.This will be Solari´s maiden job in charge of a first team.Antonio Conte, Mauricio Pochettino, Jose Mourinho and Joachim Low had all been linked to the position, with fresh approaches still possible next summer.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Real Madrid’s interim coach Santiago Solari appointed on a permanent basis after a record start © AFP / MIGUEL RIOPAMADRID, Spain, Nov 12 – Interim Real Madrid manager Santiago Solari was appointed permanent coach on Monday after overseeing a startling upturn in the European champions’ fortunes since he stepped in to replace Julen Lopetegui.“Everything is in order. Real Madrid have worked out his contract and there are no problems,” the Spanish football federation stated.
The Burtonport Action Group is in danger of closing after a poorly-attended AGM failed to elect a new committee.The existing Management Committee incluidng the Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurers, stood down and said they are not standing for re-election.However, no-one came forward to replace them. Last night’s meeting was told there are two people who are prepared to act as head of Arts and Company Secretary.It was agreed that an additional meeting is to be held on Tuesday 23rd October at 7:30 in the welcome Centre.A spokesman said that if no-one volunteers either at that meeting, or indicates in advance that they are prepared to fill these roles, then the Company will be wound up and the Welcome Centre will close with immediate effect.If you value the Welcome Centre please attend the meeting or if not able at least advise if you willing to take on one of these roles. (message on Face book, email firstname.lastname@example.org or text to 0831447243) BURTONPORT ACTION GROUP IN DANGER OF CLOSING was last modified: October 13th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Burtonport Action Group