Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Brookhaven Town Hall was evacuated for a bomb scare that was mailed in to a local TV news station on Tuesday morning, authorities said.A Suffolk County police spokeswoman said officers responded to search town hall in Farmingville after receiving the tip from Nassau County police.A Nassau County police spokeswoman said Emergency Services Unit officers responded to a report of a suspicious envelope at News 12 Long Island in Woodbury, opened it and read the threat.“It was for a different date, not today’s date,” the Nassau police spokeswoman said.Brookhaven town spokesman Jack Krieger said the building was evacuated at about 1:30 p.m. and workers were allowed back inside an hour later.The incident comes after Suffolk County police found “Bomb Town Hall” written in graffiti on Jan. 13 at Martha Avenue Recreational Park in Brookhaven hamlet, about seven miles from town hall.It also comes about a week after Brookhaven drew harsh criticism for its extremely slow response in plowing many local streets following a blizzard that dumped a record nearly three feet of snow while Brookhaven Town Supervisor Ed Romaine was on vacation.Romaine has since apologized. Acting Superintendent of Highways Michael Murphy who was also away during the storm resigned last week. John Capella replaced him until a March 5 special election to pick a new highway chief.Town Councilwoman Kathy Walsh, an independent, is running on the Democratic Party line for the highway post against New York State Assemb. Daniel Losquadro (R-Shoreham).Such threats are nothing new on LI, although they’re usually outnumbered by shooting and bomb threats at local schools, which have been increasingly sensitive to similar scares after the Newtown school massacre in December.Ronald Kellman of Central Islip pleaded guilty in October to phoning in four bomb threats to Islip Town Hall over nine months. He was sentenced to six months in jail and five years probation, court records show.
On Article 8, the ECHE said: “The applicant had been afforded sufficient institutional and procedural safeguards. “The court dismissed the Article 8 complaint, declaring it manifestly ill-founded.” FIFA have taken legal action to try and recoup the payment made to Platini, who was also detained for questioning in June by the Anti-Corruption Office of the Judicial Police in Paris. This was as part of a probe into the awarding of the 2022 FIFA World Cup to Qatar. The former France international and three times Ballon d’Or winner was questioned on “technical grounds”, according to his lawyer William Bourdon. “FIFA has taken note of the decision of the European Court of Human Rights to reject the appeal of Mr. Platini, which the Court considered to be manifestly ill-founded,” world football’s governing body said. “This judgment is in line with the decision of FIFA’s Ethics Committee, which was confirmed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport and also by the Swiss Federal Tribunal. “FIFA will continue to seek restitution of the CHF 2 million unduly paid by former FIFA President Joseph Blatter to Mr. Platini back in February 2011.” Blatter led FIFA for 17 years before he resigned days after being re-elected in May 2015. He was banned for six years for his role in the affair. Read Also:Platini considers return to football after ban Platini, considered as one of the best French footballers of all time, was widely viewed as a likely successor. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has thrown out Michel Platini’s appeal against his ban from football and described his claim as “manifestly ill-founded”. Former FIFA vice President Michel Platini FIFA banned the Frenchman, the former President of UEFA, for eight years in 2015 over an unexplained “disloyal” payment received from former FIFA President Sepp Blatter. This was later reduced to six years on appeal by FIFA, and then again to four by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). As this suspension expired last year, Platini is free to work in football again. His bid at the ECHR can be seen as an attempt to quash his ban as unlawful and return to the game with his reputation in tact. He argued that the legal proceedings so far have not been fair and also claimed the ban was incompatible with his freedom to exercise a professional activity. Other claims are that evidence used by CAS had been “illegal” while he suggested that FIFA’s adjudicatory bodies were “subordinate” to its executive. Both Platini and Blatter had claimed that the CHF2 million (£1.5 million/$2 million/€1.8 million) payment between the pair was made because of a verbal agreement for work the Frenchman carried out between 1998 and 2002. FIFA’s Ethics Committee dismissed this argument and said it was a “gift” or “undue payment”, and this ruling was upheld by CAS. The ECHR rejected Platini’s claim under three of its Articles, including Article 6 – the right to a fair hearing. Article 7 – no punishment without law – and Article 8 – right to respect for private and family life – were also considered. Loading… Promoted ContentWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?Pink Pineapples Exist – In Case You Didn’t Know7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty Penny7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone10 Phones That Can Work For Weeks Without Recharging7 Worst Things To Do To Your Phone11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table TopWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayLook At Something Beautiful That Wasn’t Made By A Human Being