Juventus complete double with seventh straight Serie A title

first_img0Shares0000Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon celebrates © AFP / TIZIANA FABIROME, Italy, May 14 – Juventus sealed a seventh straight Serie A title on Sunday after a goalless draw against ten-man Roma at the Stadio Olimpico.The Turin giants had needed just a point to officially seal another title and become the first team to complete the league and Cup double for four consecutive seasons. “7th scudetto in a row! Mind-blowing!,” tweeted Juve’s Swiss star Stephan Lichsteiner.Roma played the final twenty minutes a man down after Radja Nainggolan was sent off for a second yellow card after a foul on Argentina striker Paulo Dybala.It is the 34th Scudetto in Juventus’s history.Massimiliano Allegri’s side also won the Italian Cup in the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday with a 4-0 win over AC Milan.With one game left to play Juventus cannot be caught by second-placed Napoli who are four points behind after winning 2-0 at Sampdoria on Sunday.Eusebio Di Francesco’s Roma team had already sealed their Champions League place next season after Inter Milan’s 2-1 loss against Sassuolo.“Juventus has a special mentality that has been built up over the years, they are a club that manages to stay united and compact in difficult times, and that’s what the other teams have to do,” said Di Francesco.“We must not give up, we have a lot of young players who are new to this level, we also have to improve the group and strengthen where we are a little less strong.”Juventus had early chances with Edin Dzeko firing over, a Lorenzo Pellegrini right footer flying wide and Aleksandar Kolarov’s free-kick hitting the side netting.Paulo Dybala threatened early and broke through early in the second half after an Alex Sandro cross but the goal was disallowed because the Argentina striker was offside.Nainggolan received two yellow cards in the space of five minutes and left Roma down to 10 men for the final 20 minutes.But Juventus did not take advantage of their advantage although Dybala did have penalty appeals.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Stakeholders in St. James Welcome Extension of SOE

first_imgStory Highlights St. James business and tourism interests say they are in strong support of the extension of the State of Emergency (SOE) in the parish, arguing that “Montego Bay and neighbouring communities have never felt safer”. St. James business and tourism interests say they are in strong support of the extension of the State of Emergency (SOE) in the parish, arguing that “Montego Bay and neighbouring communities have never felt safer”.Mayor of Montego Bay, His Worship Homer Davis, told JIS News it is clear that the SOE is working, and every effort should be made “to keep a good thing going”.“We have to keep ostracising the criminals… . We can’t give them any breathing space. We have to speak with one voice as a nation and to let them know that there is no place where they will be safe,” he added.On May 1, the House of Representatives unanimously voted to extend the SOE in St. James until August 2, 2018.Mayor Davis said since the SOE, crime has taken a welcomed nosedive and that “the criminals are on the run”.“If they are planning a ‘waiting out’ strategy, we have to show that our resolve is stronger than theirs. We can’t give them any opportunity to regroup… no opportunity to come back and set up shop,” the Mayor said.“We have made some tremendous gains, which in no way we can allow to be reversed. That would be nothing short of a tragedy and something I am sure none of us want,” he emphasised.For his part, Minister of Tourism, Hon. Edmund Bartlett, said everything should be done to send the criminals a message that their days of waging terror on the streets are over.“We have to remain committed. We cannot allow the crime situation to get back out of control,” he said.Newly elected President of the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Winston Lawson, said the Chamber welcomed the extension.“The Chamber lauds the tremendous work of the joint security forces since the advent of the SOE and recognises the significant successes in reducing the crime levels,” he said.“We hope the extension time is used to strategise in transitioning away from the SOE,” Mr. Lawson said. “We have to keep ostracising the criminals… . We can’t give them any breathing space. We have to speak with one voice as a nation and to let them know that there is no place where they will be safe,” he added. Mayor of Montego Bay, His Worship Homer Davis, told JIS News it is clear that the SOE is working, and every effort should be made “to keep a good thing going”.last_img read more

InterCaribbean launches Cuba flights

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 10 Dec 2015 – InterCaribbean Airways today journeyed to Cuba via a new flight to the Caribbean country which now takes the destinations serviced by ICA to 16. It is the third Latin Caribbean country the airline services from its hubs here in Providenciales and Grand Turk with a fleet of 14 aircraft. The InterCaribbean Airways flight landed at the Antonio Maceo Airport in Santiago, Cuba. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:antonio maceo airport, cuba, Intercaribbean Airways, santiago Recommended for you At Least 10 People Killed in Cuba from Hurricane Irma Cuban military crash leaves 8 dead Airports Authority commanded to protect South Caicos airport by airlinelast_img read more